If you are considering writing a book about your journey to recovery after experiencing a serious illness you need to understand that it really doesn’t matter how well your book is written, or how interesting it is, if no one knows about it, you will not make any sales.
Once you write a story about your life, there are a number of things you can do to market and promote your book. You may have a family member or friend help you; you may do it yourself or you may pay to have someone market it for you. This is what I did with the help of my husband Peter when I wrote my book ‘Thank God I Had a Stroke’.
1. Via my social media, I let people know of my progress e.g. Manuscript finally finished; great editor provided by publisher; my print copy has arrived etc.
2. Hired a publicist in America to contact the media (newspaper, magazines, TV, radio) both in Australia, America and Canada
3. I concentrated on approaching organisations where I could be a speaker and offer my book for sale e.g. Rotary
4. I had an official launch at Parliamentary House in Victoria. As my book was on health issues, I approached the Health Minister. He asked his Parliamentary Secretary to officiate.
5. As I lived 100k from Melbourne, I decided to have a local launch too. Again I approached my local MP who was prepared to officiate. Council has also shown interest in supporting the launch.
6. I organised two well known identities to read excerpts from my book (as I cannot read) at both launches.
7. I invited 200 people to the Parliamentary launch and 100 to the local launch.
8. I participated in 3 festivals where people interested in my theme would be present (Mind Body Spirit Festival).
9. I individually contacted some of my social media network to ask if they could refer me to any groups they thought would be interested in having me as a speaker.
If you want to write a story about your life, you may wish to access two free CD’s on how to market and sell an e-book. I am also compiling a book to explain the full story of what I did and how I did it; marketing and promotion was a very important aspect of the success of my book. If you would like me to tell you when this is available, please email me
Barbara Gabogrecan sharing her thoughts
Hints and Tips
If you have overcome the fear and trauma of a serious illness, you definitely have something worthwhile writing about. By sharing your story you may be able to help others cope with their demons too. Just start writing (like writing a diary) and when you think you have finished, get someone with experience and expertise to edit it for you (I actually had 5 folk edit my manuscript). Then comes the marketing!